6/30/2013

philosophy



a ray of light, a darkened sun,
the full moon, a distant star
it’s a long gone but ubiquitous method
of abstract story-telling

an addiction:
cocaine, coffee, chocolate,

it’s art:
the fraud of 3D on a single surface,
the freedom beyond the frame.

it’s the ocean of thought
in the shallowness of language
it’s Dolby surround, a sound thinker’s love.

it’s a perspective:
looking forward to the past,
remembering the future
trusting the moment

the pleasure and pain of travelling
a land far far away
yet inside
your very soul.

2 Kommentare:

  1. I like the way how carefully you describe the "art" and "perspective" parts and how you create images here. In particular how you bring modern devices into the poem about something that's as old as mankind seems to be.
    The addiction part seems out of the line, still it is interesting because I guess a lot of people doing philosophy are addicted to it as well as to one or the other substance you mentioned. This way you create a sort of humorous idea in here.

    You could be more precise about the "sound thinker's love"... is it a sound-thinker's love or is it "a sound thinker is love"...? But perhaps being sort of vague here is your goal.

    AntwortenLöschen
  2. yeah, I guess it is all a little strange - the poem was the work of a moment (I was sitting in a workshop for media theory...) and when I read it again I think it is absolutely pathetic. To me, it sounds like I wanted to be more philosophical than I actually am :-) but when I think of some people I study with (not you!!) I know I'm not alone with the academic Rampensau-syndrom...

    the sound-thinker: on the one hand, it is the love of someone who thinks in a sound way, meaning gesund, on the other hand it's my newest/oldest passion: Klang --> in the context of Dolby surround the love of someone who loves to think about sound.

    structurally the addiction part really doesn't make sense, you're right, but it felt good to break the structure and I think it increases the "I'm actually a nerdy list-poem"-feeling.

    AntwortenLöschen